I’m often asked what advice I have for travelers who are leaving the country for the first time. While I have lots of advice of my own, like purchasing travel insurance, we also have a network of travelers who have some great knowledge to share.
What better way to tap into our travelers’ expertise than on our Facebook page
? So, in an installment of our Mad-Lib Monday series I posed the question: “If I could give one piece of advice to a first-time international traveler, I would tell them _____.”
We got over 40 responses, and I thought there was great practical and thoughtful advice! Here are some of my favorites:
- “Be friendly to the locals and be respectful … you are a guest after all!”
- “Pack light!”
- “Be flexible and don’t sweat the small stuff.”
- “Keep your passport with you.”
- “Eat local and try everything.”
- “Bring an extra charged battery for your camera so that u can take pictures of all the memorable places and things u see along the way ”
- “Keep an open mind.”
- “Take public transportation and find your way off the beaten path.”
- “Be patient. Pack only what you can carry. Learn ‘thank you’ in every language!”
I can’t resist mentioning a few thoughts of my own for a first-time international traveler: smile, smile, smile. There was absolutely no one, in any culture I’ve ever encountered, that didn’t respond positively to a sincere, friendly smile. And by the way, that smile will keep you in the right frame of mind to relax, ignore small inconveniences, and simply enjoy the adventure of being in a brand new place!
What would you add? Start the conversation here in a comment below, or join the conversation on our Facebook page
to add your tips for first-time international travelers.