This post has been updated here.
We’re continuing to work aggressively to get every Friendly Planet Traveler out of Egypt as soon as possible. As I told you before, everyone is safe and we contacted our travelers’ emergency contacts to let them know this.
Earlier today I sent the letter below to all of the emergency contacts to tell them our plans to get their family and friends back to the U.S. Read on to get the most recent update on the protests in Egypt.
Stay tuned to the blog. I’ll continue to post updates about our travelers and what’s happening in Egypt on the blog, Facebook, and Twitter.
Update about the Friendly Planet group presently in Egypt.
We sent our first update to you on Friday, before we knew the extent to which the situation in Egypt had begun to deteriorate. In fact, when we sent you our first update, we had just been informed by our Egypt reps that our group would not be touring in Cairo due to the demonstrations, but that they were able to drive out to the Pyramids area, and they were, in fact, able to do some sightseeing there. However, what we didn’t know at that time is that the group was subsequently unable to get back to their Cairo hotel due to the situation in the streets. Instead, we took them to a hotel near the Pyramids, which is close to the Cairo airport. Our representatives decided to fly our group to Luxor, about an hour away from Cairo, where it was felt that the situation would be calmer and our group would be safer than in Cairo.
We have been working through the weekend to arrange transportation out of Egypt for your family and friends who are on our Pyramids and Nile Cruise tour. At present, the group remains on the Nile cruise ship and is en route to Aswan, from which they will be flown back to Cairo Airport. We have secured hotel accommodations at an airport hotel, where the group will be protected by security until we are able to get them out on flights back to the USA. Our guide and operational staff in Egypt is accompanying the group at all times. These bilingual professionals are able to assist our passengers in any way they require.
At present, EgyptAir, the carrier for our tour, is working at approximately 25% capacity, due to curfew restrictions, demand and failure of some crew to appear for work. However, the US authorities are arranging for additional aircraft to repatriate American citizens, and our passengers will be at the airport, ready to board the first available flight. Until such time as they are able to leave Egypt, please be assured that we are doing absolutely everything possible to care for them, give them comfort and protect them from harm. They are in comfortable accommodations on the ship and will be at a good hotel once they arrive at Cairo airport. In this way we will keep them from having to struggle, with the hundreds of other travelers, who are now at the airport fighting for flights home.
As we know more, we will let you know as well. Once we have the return flight information, we will update you immediately. In the meantime, if you need information or have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us by email or via our emergency phone service. To call us, dial 800-555-5765 and press #6 for the emergency line. Someone will return your call promptly. You may also try to call your family and friends on their cell phones. Service is very spotty, but some travelers are having luck. Your phone calls will be expensive due to roaming charges, etc., but if you get through, you’ll hear for yourselves that everyone is safe, if anxious to leave Egypt. And who can blame them for that!
Peggy M. Goldman